Current Affairs: Exam Related Current Affairs with Static Gk : 20 June 2021
1) One of independent India’s biggest sporting icons, ace sprinter Milkha Singh, died after a month-long battle with COVID-19, during which he lost his former national volleyball captain wife Nirmal Kaur to the same ailment. He was cremated with full state honours in Chandigarh.
➨The Padma Shri awardee, who was nicknamed ‘The Flying Sikh’ for his accomplishments, was 91 and is survived by his golfer son Jeev Milkha Singh and three daughters.
2) A 1,098 carat diamond believed to be the third largest gem-quality stone ever to be mined, has been discovered in Botswana.
➨It is the third largest in the world, behind the 3,106 carat Cullinan stone recovered in South Africa in 1905 and the 1,109 carat Lesedi La Rona unearthed by Lucara Diamonds in Botswana in 2015.
3) The Maharashtra Govt has completed the construction of nearly 3 lakh 23 thousand houses for the rural region and handed over the possession to the beneficiaries.
➨Under Maha Awas Abhiyan, another four lakh 68 thousand houses are being completed and would be handed over in a month.
Shani Shingnapur Temple
Shri Saibaba Sansthan Temple
4) Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Customized Crash Course programme for Covid 19 Frontline workers’.
➙The launch commenced the programme in 111 training centres spread over 26 states.
5) Ahead of the WTO’s ministerial conference later this year, the government has appointed a private person Aashish Chandorkar as ‘Counsellor’ in India’s Permanent Mission in the World Trade Organisation for three years.
▪️World Trade Organisation :-
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Founded – 1 January 1995
Membership – 164 member states
➨Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the World Trade Organisation (WTO)- Brajendra Navnit
6) Google announced that it is launching its News Showcase feature in India and is partnering with 30 news organisations.
➨The move is aimed at incentivising and supporting local publishers to curate high-quality content on the search engine’s News and Discover platforms.
➨This initiative is part of Google’s investment campaign to support quality journalism in India.
7) Bihar CM Nitish Kumar launched an exclusive mobile App to ensure regular monitoring and tracking of all those covid-19 patients who are in home isolation across the state.
➨The App has been named as ‘HIT Covid App’. Here ‘HIT’ stands for home isolation tracking.
✸Bihar CM – Nitish Kumar
➭ Governor – Phagu Chauhan
➭Mangala Gowri Temple
➭Mithila Shakti Peeth Temple
➭Valmiki National Park
8) United Nations Global Compact has recognised Sumant Sinha, Chairman & MD of ReNew Power, as one of the ten SDG Pioneers 2021, for his work to advance access to clean and affordable energy.
✸United Nations Global Compact :-
Formation – 26 July 2000
Type – Framework and Mechanism
CEO & Executive Director – Sanda Ojiambo
9) Padma Shree awardee and former national president of the Indian Medical Association Dr KK Aggarwal has passed away after battling Covid-19 for several days at New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences.
➭A cardiologist by profession, he was also the head of the Heart Care Foundation of India. He also received the Dr BC Roy Award in 2005 and Padma Shree in 2010.
10) Larsen & Toubro Infotech, a global technology consulting and digital solutions company has been recognized as the Global Innovation Partner of the Year by Snowflake, the Data Cloud Company.
➨LTI received this prestigious recognition during Snowflake Virtual Partner Summit held on June 16, 2021.
11) NATO leaders expanded the use of their all for one, one for all, mutual defense clause to include a collective response to attacks in space.
➨Article 5 of NATO’s founding treaty states that an attack on any one of the 30 allies will be considered an attack on them all. Until now, it has only applied to more traditional military attacks on land, sea, or in the air, and more recently in cyberspace.
▪️North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) :-
Formation – 4 April 1949
Headquarters – Brussels, Belgium
12) India celebrates June 19 as the National Reading Day in honour of P N Panicker, the father of the Library and Literacy Movement in Kerala. This year marks the silver jubilee year or the 25th edition of the celebrations.
➨The P N Panicker Foundation and P N Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra have been observing the national reading day, reading week and reading month since June 19, 1996.
13) The European Space Agency (ESA) has planned to put the world’s first wooden satellite, WISA Woodsat, on Earth’s orbit by the end of this year.
➨The mission of the satellite is to test the applicability of wooden materials like plywood in spacecraft structures and expose it to extreme space conditions, such as heat, cold, vacuum and radiation, for an extended period of time.
14) The Union Social Justice and Empowerment (SJE) Ministry launched 14 cross disability early intervention centres across the country to provide support to infants and young children at risk of or with disabilities.
➨SJE Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot virtually inaugurated the centres that are located at seven national institutes and seven composite regional centres of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
15) A community radio is all set to operate in the Union Territory of Ladakh from early 2022.
➭The community radio network will transmit to the whole of Ladakh and will be utilized largely in the field of education and disaster management.
➭There will be one central studio and 48 transmission locations with priority to transmit signal to the unconnected areas of Ladakh.
16) Minister of Tribal Affairs, Sh. Arjun Munda launched ADI PRASHIKSHAN portal and inaugurated a three-day training programme on “Capacity Building Training of Master Trainers for ST PRI Members” as part of Azadi ka AmritMahotsav in New Delhi.
17) A three-day virtual conference of BRICS Network Universities on the theme of electric mobility was inaugurated at IIT Bombay.
➨The conference is part of the engagements that India is hosting under the education stream as chair of the 13th BRICS Summit this year.
👉 BRICS – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
18) Defence Minister Rajnath Singh participated in the ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM-Plus) via video conferencing.
➨The ADMM-Plus is a platform comprising 10-nation ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) and its eight dialogue partners -India, China, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Russia and the United States – to strengthen security and defence cooperation for peace, stability and development in the region.
➨The inaugural ADMM-Plus was convened in Hanoi in 2010.
19) The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) launched a TV Channel Selector web portal on Wednesday for consumers who could not access its mobile phone app of the same name due to lack of a smartphone.
▪️Telecom Regulatory Authority of India:-
Founded – 20 February 1997
Headquarters – New Delhi
20) The Rajasthan government will soon set up a Vedic Education and Sanskar Board to revive the knowledge of Sanskrit scriptures and vedas.
➨The board is likely to be formed in the next four to five months.
CM – Ashok Gehlot
Governor – Kalraj Mishra
➭Ranthambore National Park
➭Keoladeo Ghana National Park
➭Sariska National Park.
➭ Kumbhalgarh Fort
21) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) was second only to Turkey in terms of reserves transferred to the government as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) for the fiscal year 2020-21. In FY20, the RBI stood fourth when ranked by the ratio of surplus as a percentage of GDP.